Monday, July 21, 2008

False Start Opera Gloves

I'm nearly finished with my yellow sweater...just..need...to..seam...it! So, it's about time I started a new knitting project! I fell in love with the idea of making Opera-length knitted gloves after buying a 3/4 sleeve coat and seeing a bright orangey-red pair made by the Australian company Country Road. I chose the Opera Glove pattern on Sweaterscapes. However, I decided to use a finer yarn--Centolavaggi, held doubled with US size 1 needles. I started yesterday and got this far by today:


The thing is, that I'm just not feeling it. The idea of working on teeny tiny double point needles forever isn't appealing, and I'm not wholeheartedly convinced that I'm going to love these gloves when I finish. SO, I've quickly decided to find a better use for this yarn. At the moment I'm leaning heavily toward Veronik Avery's Lace Ribbon Scarf. I think this will be a great project to keep me occupied for the rest of my time in Sydney, and then I can start on some sweaters when I return to the land of cheap and plentiful yarn. I've got some good ideas in the works--hopefully I can work out the geometry and write up some nice patterns!

3 comments:

Tita Carré said...

Hi i loved your site/ blog, i have got a blog/ site, go http://agulhaetricot.blogspot.com/
I am from Brasil.
Kiss

Hilary said...

What a gorgeous color -- I think it will make a great Lace Ribbon Scarf. The pattern is fun, too -- you should definitely make one!

Anonymous said...

I just started on the opera gloves. I am knitting them with on 2 circular needles. I agree that knitting with tiny double pointed needles is tiresome. I find it much easier to use the 2 circular needles for this task.
Love the idea of having an opera length glove under a 3/4 sleeve coat, very Jackie O.